Environmental, health & Safety information
Health and safety are a major concern of every employer and employee. Employers need to take the necessary precautions in order to ensure that they provide a safe environment for their workforce.
The Printing Industries Association (the national association) has a program – EHS Verify to help PPI members avoid workplace injuries and contain their workers compensation insurance costs. EHS Verify, is a customized audit process that helps strengthen EHS programs to prevent workplace injuries and incidents and reduce the risk of OSHA and EPA fines and penalties.
The EHS Verify audit process includes:
- pre-audit activities,
- an on-site visit,
- a report with audit findings and scoring,
- development of a corrective action plan to address areas for improvement,
- remote follow-up on corrective action plan progress in 3 to 6 months,
- and a follow-up on-site evaluation in 1 to 3 years (depending on the magnitude of the items identified for improvement).
The core of safety training focuses on written Hazardous Communication, Illness Injury Prevention, and Workplace Security programs—all available as PDF fill-in programs. Companies should supplement these programs by incorporating other material in this section (e.g., eyewash station, lockout/blockout, and safety sheets for employee training) depending on the nature of their business.
See the following links to Hazard and Safety Websites from US OSHA as well as the individual PPI states:
- USA: https://www.osha.gov
- Alaska: http://labor.state.ak.us/lss/
- Hawaii: http://labor.hawaii.gov/hiosh/
- Idaho: http://dbs.idaho.gov/safety_code/
- Montana: http://erd.dli.mt.gov
- Oregon: http://www.orosha.org
- Utah: https://laborcommission.utah.gov/divisions/UOSH/
- Washington: http://www.lni.wa.gov/Main/ForBusiness.asp
Ergonomics in the Printing Industry: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/printing/index.html
We are your resource and are here to help you avoid costly workplace accidents, or EPA compliance audits.
As always, feel free to contact PPI directly for assistance in tracking down specific information/forms.
Health & Safety Newsfeed for Your Convenience
- OSHA Updates Its Injury and Illness Inspection Program
- BGE Fined Over $400,000 For Violations Related to 2019 Gas Explosion
- 2021 Flu Season: The Pandemic Edition
- Lockheed Martin Corp. Will Pay $700,000 in Back Wages After DOL Investigation
- Obsoleting the Absence of Voltage Test
- President-elect Biden Names New Additions to Economic Team
- Five Benefits Of CPR Training In The Workplace
- Department of Labor Announces Final Rule That Clarifies Independent Contractor Status
- Accident Prevention: Where Kermit the Frog and Worker Safety Meet
- Cal/OSHA Issues a Second Batch of FAQs Clarifying Its New COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Standard
- OSHA’s 2020 in Review and 2021 Forecast
- President-Elect Biden Announces Boston Mayor Marty Walsh as his Choice for Secretary of Labor
- A Box of Meat and $100 For Your Life
- Conn Maciel Carey’s 2021 OSHA Webinar Series